Hello darling vegetarians! You have not been forgotten. Prepare to be amazed by this recipe from the new Vegetarian Book by Roz Denny. This is always a favorite in our home.
2 x 8 oz cartons smoked or regular tofu, cubed
3 tbsp. soy sauce, Kikkoman Traditionally Brewed or any low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp. sherry, vermouth or any red wine
1 tbsp.sesame oil
3 tbsp. oil, Ancient Foods 100% Avocado Oil or Filippo Berio Extra Light Tasting Olive oil
2 leeks, thinly sliced
2 carrots, cut in matchsticks
1 large zucchini, thinly sliced
4 oz. baby corn, halved
4 oz. button Shitake mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp. sesame seeds, roasted
1 package of egg noodles or 4 oz. fresh bean sprouts
Broccoli florets (optional)
1. Marinate the tofu in the soy sauce, sherry (or vermouth) and sesame oil for at least 30 minutes. Drain and reserve the marinade.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or non-stick fry pan and fry the tofu cubes until browned all over. Remove and set aside.
3. Stir-fry the leeks, carrots, zucchini, baby corn, broccoli, and bean sprouts, stirring and tossing for about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further minute.
4. Return the tofu to the wok and pour in the marinade. Heat until bubbling, then scatter over the sesame seeds.
5. Serve as soon as possible with the cooked noodles and you may add a drizzle of sesame oil.