My retired co-worker and friend Ruby Cranston gave me some very thick index cards containing recipes. Found this recipe amongst the cards, and this apple cake has become an all time favorite in our home, especially when our neighbor passes by the house and brings us some freshly picked apples from upstate! I also picked up some edible Moroccan Rose Organic Dried Petals from Ema Tabara firstname.lastname@example.org from a street fair.
1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
4 cups thinly sliced and pared apples (about 5 medium)
Cream Cheese Icing (optional)
Cream Cheese Icing: Beat 2 packages (3 oz each) cream cheese till fluffy. Beat in 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine. Stir in 1 and 3/4 cups confectioners sugar and 1 tsp. lemon juice. Spread over cooled cake.
1. In large bowl, beat eggs on high speed until thick and light. Combine sugar and oil. Beat into eggs.
2. Stir together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Add to egg mixture along with vanilla.
3. Stir in walnuts. Spread apples in a buttered pan. My pan measured 13 x 9 x 2 inches.
4. Pour batter over apples, spreading to cover.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until top is pale golden and apples are cooked. Remove from oven. Cool completely. Spread with Cream Cheese Icing and if you want, garnish with edible dried rose petals like the Scentual Moroccan Organic Dried Petals shown earlier.
Hope you will like the taste of this apple cake! My co-workers found them quite tasty. I have to say that walnuts are the magic ingredient…
Another Sarap dessert from Peaches!!!