Hey all, back at it again with my mother’s favorite, Shelled Crab Cakes. You can buy 12 crabs at the fish market, steam them after soaking them in water, then take out the shell and set aside the meat… or you can just buy crab meat. Clean the shells and soak in water with baking soda and rinse twice and drain in a colander until they completely dry up.
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red onion, chopped finely
1 jalapeño, seeded, chopped finely
1 huge potato, peeled, cubed finely, boiled till tender
1 medium tomatoes or 6 cherry tomatoes, sliced
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp. Bob’s Red mill Organic Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal
1 huge red bell pepper, chopped
3 cups crab meat
3/4 tsp. salt and 3/4 tsp. pepper
6 scallion stalks, sliced
1/2 cup, chopped cilantro
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes or 1 tsp. smoky paprika chipotle
1-2 tbsp. olive oil
1. In a skillet on high heat, sauté garlic, onion, jalapeño pepper and tomatoes, then add red bell pepper.
2. Once the vegetables are translucent and tender, add crab cakes, and season with 3/4 tsp each of salt and pepper.
3. Add cilantro and scallions, mix gently but well. Taste and adjust seasoning.
4. Let the mixture cool, then stuff it inside each crab shell. Then brush the cakes with beaten egg. Line them on a wide tray.
5. Fry the cakes with hot oil in a skillet, do not crowd them so you can brown them properly. Be careful not to puncture the cakes with the sharp pointy ends.
6. After browning all of them properly, line them up on a tray with cartsy- or Sriracha sauce on the side.
Another Sarap dish from Peaches!