Some big holidays are coming right after Halloween so I practiced on Williams-Sonoma’s Kitchen. This is so different from other Beef Stews. I don’t trust my newly bought slow cooker so I used 25 minutes of pressure cooking and the bones are falling off the meat. So scrumptious! I will probably prepare this again to impress my guests on Thanksgiving.
2 Tbsp. each brown mustard seeds, yellow mustard seeds, and peppercorns, coarsely ground
2 tsp. salt
5 lb bone-in beef short ribs
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 cup bourbon (though I personally used red wine)
2 large yellow onions, diced
2 celery stalks, diced (I didn’t have any when I made this)
2 carrots, peeled and diced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
3 tbsp. honey
3 cups beef stock (boiling 3 Tbsp. of Better Than Boullion Roasted Beef Base into 3 Tbsp. water)
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. beef demi-glaze (I don’t have any)
1.In a small bowl, combine mustard seeds, pepper and salt. Rub onto short ribs. If using pressure cooker, use the pot of the cooker over the medium high heat, warm 2 tbsp. oil. Brown the ribs in batches, transfer to a plate.
2. If using slow cooker, brown the ribs in stovetop-safe insert of the slow cooker.
3. Add bourbon to the pressure cooker pot, stir and simmer for 2 minutes. Add everything except celery, carrots and potatoes into the pressure cooker. For slow cooker add everything as following: garlic, onions, celery, carrots, demi-glaze, honey, stock, and red wine vinegar.
4. Bring to simmer then add ribs, for the slow cooker, transfer insert to slow cooker base. Cover, cook on high 6 hours. For pressure cooker, time the steaming for 25 minutes only.
5. Once cooked in pressure cooker for 25 minutes, add the cubed carrots and cubed potatoes for 5 minutes, add the cubed celery and cubed and different colored bell peppers for another 3 minutes. For the slow cooker, once 6 hours is done, it’s ready to serve.
6. Serve on top of freshly cooked Jasmine or brown rice
I tried to simplify and use whatever ingredients I had in the refrigerator and added potatoes and bell peppers but the most important are the rice wine vinegar, red wine, and honey. I also used only the yellow mustard seeds and black peppercorns and salt.Next time I cook again this short ribs, I will definitely use bourbon and celery in here, I will check the difference but this is already very flavorful and the meat is falling off the bones.,tenderness is just right to the bite.
Thanks to williams-sonoma.com for the original recipe, this recipe will not disappoint you and your guests, another main dish that will definitely wow your guests this coming holidays.