I took out some portobella mushrooms sitting in our refrigerator from Trader Joe’s, then I remembered Ina Garten’s Stuffed Mushrooms but had no sausage. No problem! I had left-over shrimp and chicken so I got the idea of experimenting on appetizers again. I promised myself that I wouldn’t post it if it wasn’t tasty. Here’s the rest of the story…
a tray of Baby Bella Cremini mushrooms, 9-12 pieces
5 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup cooked chicken and boiled shrimp (chopped finely)
Marsala or sherry or any red wine
2/3 cup flavored bread crumbs
1/2 cup shredded cheese
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. each of salt and pepper
bell peppers, yellow and green, chopped finely
1. Remove stems from the mushrooms, chop them finely. Toss with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and red wine. Set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes, add the chopped mushroom stems, cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add 2/3 cup of bread crumbs, stirring to combine then add the chopped bell peppers.
4. Add the shredded cheese to make it creamy, being careful to lower the heat and stirring frequently to prevent it from sticking to the skillet.
5. Forgot to thaw my Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce, so I grab a piece of Thai red chilli pepper, seed and slice very thinly lengthwise then cut very finely crosswise and added to the skillet, stir well.
6. Fill each mushroom generously with the mixture. Arrange the mushrooms in a baking dish to hold the stuffed mushrooms snugly. Bake at 325 degrees F for 40-50 minutes until the stuffing is browned and crusty. Serve while piping hot but handle very gently as they’re quite fragile.
Another appetizer to make this coming holiday! Thanks to the Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten from Peaches, Masarap!!!