Got this recipe many years ago from a magazine and it’s been one of my holiday gifts to give to family and friends, and once they start nibbling they said that they couldn’t stop most especially paired with iced cold beer or their favorite wine while watching their favorite Neflix program like Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown or Kameni’s Girl Eats World, or maybe free movie viewing from Amazon prime.
The personalized gold seal “From the Kitchen of Peaches” and the personalized holiday ribbons are from williams-sonoma.com. You should order ahead of time so it’ll be ready for your use this holiday season.
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
4 tsp. dark-brown sugar
1 tsp. Chipotle or ancho chili powder (the recipe asks for 3 tsp. originally but we can tolerate only 1 tsp. of ground Chipotle Chile Pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 and 1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups walnut halves
2 cups whole unblanched almonds
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 15 by 10 inch jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Heat oil in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in sugar, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt, cook for 1 minute only (don’t overcook the oil mixture to avoid turning them to hard solids, nuts won’t brown – even browning is key here!)
3. Place walnuts and almonds in a bowl. Pour the seasoned oil over nuts, toss to mix. Place on prepared pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Stir and bake for 5-8 more minutes or until crisped.
5. Remove and let cool completely before putting in a clear transparent jar and tie with personalized ribbon just like in the picture above.
VARIATION: You can also add churritos, Thai/lime and chili nuts, pistachio nuts or Filipino cornic (corn snack) for a more festive combination.
Some smoky, spicy, and sweet nuts from Peaches’ treasured and collected recipes of long ago, Masarap!!!