As it is the start of the Lenten Season, I cannot touch any chicken, beef, lamb, and/or turkey meat and only vegetables, fruits, and fish every Ash Wednesday starting the 1st of March, and on every Friday of Lent. Since Jesus sacrificed his flesh for us on Good Friday, we refrain from eating meat in his honor on Fridays. Milk, eggs, and cheese are allowed for consumption.
Remember the recipe on Salmon Scrap Cakes? It’s pretty much the same recipe, but without raw eggs.
2 cups of boiled salmon (or canned salmon)
1 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
zest of 1 lime and its juice
3 pieces of red sweet peppers (chopped)
1 Tbsp. Lady’s Choice tuna spread
1 Tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
1 piece of Chipotle pepper (seeded and chopped)
2 pouches of 8.5 oz packet each of Seeds of Change Certified Organic Quinoa & Brown Rice with Garlic
1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
4 stalks of scallions (sliced thinly)
bunch of Cilantro (chopped)
some grape tomatoes, long stemmed scallions and more cilantro for garnish
1. Gently squeeze the sides of the rice pouches to break apart the rice and pour contents into a skillet and add 1/4 cup of water and heat 3 minutes. Stir rice until heated throughly. Set aside.
2. In a medium sized bowl, start mixing well all of the following ingredients: salmon, bread crumbs, zest of 1 lime and its juice, chopped red peppers, tuna spread, chopped Chipotle pepper, mustard, scallions, and cilantro.
3. Line up the biscuit cutter apart from each other in one line and scoop the rice inside the cutter, push down then scoop the salmon mixture.
4. Once well compacted, push the top of the contents of the biscuit cutter with the end of a heavy knife, gently lifting the cutter and leaving the layered rice and salmon firmly on the marble slab or plate and stick the stem of Cilantro leaves and a short piece of scallion on top.
5. Continue plating by adding a grape tomato cut in half on top and adding a long stemmed scallion for more drama like in the picture below….
As usual, I like to create things outside of the norm. Hope you enjoy this food presentation too. You can also add one hard-boiled egg, and transfer everything to a container and place inside your brown bag for lunch in the office.