12 pcs. raw, live crabs (from any fish market)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger (finely chopped)
2 small Thai red chilies
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 Tbsp-1 Tbsp.fish sauce (you can find in any Asian or Chinese store)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup chili sauce (you can find it in any Chinese supermarket)
1. Wash and clean the crabs and put them inside the huge pot with cover.
2. Using a pick up tong and a kitchen scissor, pull back the apron and cut the top shelf from each crab. Segment each crab into 2 pieces. Be careful of the claws that they don’t bite your hands or your fingers or it will be very painful I am telling you. Once you cut it in half with the kitchen shear, they will be dead.
3. Heat oil in a very huge wide pot. Add the garlic and the ginger until fragrant, add the Thai red chilies, stir fry for a minute or two then add the crabs and stir-fry until the meat turns white and the shells turn red.
3. Add the chili sauce, tomatoes sauce, sesame oil, fish oil and 1/3 cup water, stir together, bring to a boil and lower the heat to a slow simmer, you may add shrimp at this time, either you continue scooping the sauce and pour it into the crabs and shrimp or cover the pot on a slow simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Open the pot and let the steam out, then sprinkle with cut scallions. Serve immediately with newly steamed Jasmine rice with an ice cold beer or any ice cold beverage.
This is an alternate dish with the Frogmore Stew famously called by my co-workers headed by Mercy as Oohh la la!