Hello there! Just found out that too many Calcium inside our body is bad and can contribute to more clogging of our arteries, we need Vitamin K rich plant and one of those are these micro greens like mung beans, alfalfa sprouts, beet sprouts and lentil sprouts. The only downside is the possibility of Salmonella poisoning thus sprouting your own seeds in the luxury of your kitchen table is a win-win situation and you can choose to sprout organic seeds also. The process will take only 4 days and you need to soak them in water twice a day for 5 minutes and drain them.
3/4 cup dry mung or mongo beans
empty 1.5 L Coke plastic bottle (washed well)
2 cups hot water
3 cups cold water
few Mason jars
cheesecloth or paper towel
black plastic bag
1. Assemble all the materials you will need and make holes on the bottom and around the plastic bottle. Soak the beans in water and remove dead, flat beans and impurities and drain.
2. Get a huge bowl and place the beans, add 3 cups cold water and 2 cups hot water into the beans and soak for 1 hour then drain and put 1/2 of it into the small opening of the bottle with a funnel, put the lid back and keep the bottle horizontally while storing it at all times.
3. The rest of the beans, you put into 2 Mason jars, seal the opening with a cheesecloth with rubber bands, place them on top of your kitchen table.
4. Enclose the Coke bottle with the beans in a black plastic bag and keep it horizontal, place in a dark place which no one will disturb.
5. Soak them twice daily for 5 minutes and drain well and put them back again where they belong since the first procedure.
6. Continue doing it for 4-5 days until they are ready for harvesting, see the pictures below on its gradual development.
7. Cut the plastic bottle in the middle with the scissor and soak in water and fish the green loose seed covers, drain and ready to be added to your food recipes and salads.
I only use 3/4 cups of the dried mung beans and yield so much. For my personal experience I prefer the mason jars procedure because it is simpler and the harvest are bright green colored.
As always, sharing with you all, helpful ways to have a safe, healthy food ingredients for our creative and flavorful cooking.