Since I was off for 3 nights, I decided to cook up a storm. Since all my grown up kids are into the gym and eating protein and low carbs, they can’t say no to eggs, especially when they’re tasty and loaded with a lot of fresh vegetables.
6 eggs (lightly beaten)
2 large red onions (sliced thinly)
bell peppers (red, orange, yellow, cubed)
1 can of fresh mushrooms (brushed , washed, dried)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1 garlic clove (sliced)
1 – 2 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
any fresh green scallions, kale and cilantro leaves or parsley, sliced as toppings for later.
1. Caramelize the onions first by sautéing in a pan with little olive oil, stirring until soft for 2 to 3 minutes (fire should be on low).
2. Mix in the cubed bell peppers and add to the mix to caramelize. Transfer to another bowl.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan over a moderate heat. Add sliced garlic clove, caramelized onion and bell peppers, throw in chopped kale, green scallions, and cilantro. Mix them well. You may add cubed ham or shredded chicken if you don’t want it to be all vegetarian.
4. Add salt and pepper into the beaten eggs and mix into the skillet, add heavy cream and shredded cheese. Swirl the skillet to combine the mixture evenly and stir gently until it sets on the bottom of the skillet while egg mixture is still runny on top. Turn off the stove.
5. Put the skillet inside the pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or whenever the eggs on top are set. Serve immediately while still piping hot with some crusty bread with your favorite coffee or tea. Happy Breakfast!